The QFC periodically teaches short courses on AD Model Builder, which is a software for creating programs to estimate parameters of statistical models. The AD Model Builder Basics short course is intended for those who have never used the software or those needing a refresher in software basics.
Topics that are taught include:
- a review of what the software does and why it has become widely used;
- working in the E-macs environment;
- details of how to create an ADMB template;
- essentials of ADMB and C++ syntax;
- hands-on experience working with several examples.
The AD Model Builder Advanced Fishery Applications short course cover more advanced topics, including:
- methods for assessing uncertainty in model results;
- review of available ADMB/AUTODIFF functions;
- instruction on writing functions;
- problem solving such as alternative model parameterization, and estimating parameters in phases.